PELHAM PUPPET REDRESSED AN ELIZABETHAN LADY
I removed all of the clothing, screwed off her head and then pealed off her hair and gave her a good and much needed wash. It was then that Glenda Jackson came to the rescue. I had a podcast playing in the background and Ms Jackson was being interviewed. She began talking about filming the fabulous BBC drama Elizabeth R and suddenly I knew how I was going to restore the puppet... she was going to become an Elizabethan court Lady.
Next I turned my attention the puppets body and her costume. After measuring I cut a long rectangular strip of pink brocade and of lining fabric. I stitched together the side edges of each rectangle and then stitched both created tubes together along their bottom hems - ensuring right side faced right side. It was then a matter of turning the resulting underskirt out, machine stitching the hem and trimmed the centre front with gold braid and diamante diamonds. The skirt was then gathered at the waist and stitched firmly.
The overskirt was the same process, only cut a little wider and not stitched along it's shorter side hem, so that it left an open fronted skirt. The overskirt was lined in gold lining and trimmed along it's front skirt opening with gilded braid. It was then also gathered and secured at the waist.
The chemise/shift under bodice was cut in white cotton, from a basic pattern that I have used several times before. The front and back pieces were stitched together, along the shoulder and side seams and then the voluminous neck-line was turn hemmed and a thin cord run through it ready for gathering. The sleeves were cut in the same satin as the over-skirt. They were shoulder length and wide cuffed, ready to be gathered when applied to the puppet. I trimmed the bottom edges in lace and hand-stitched the upper sleeves to the sleeve-holes of the cotton bodice. I then dressed the puppet in the upper garment and gathered the neck-line tightly.
Over this I tightly stitched a purple corset made of full bodied felt, which I had trimmed with strung diamantes. This pulled in and hid the connection of the two underlayers. All that was left to do was finally create a gathered ruff of synthetic lace and stitch it around the puppets neck.
Finally my Elizabethan Lady was finished and ready for sale!